Last week my menu plans included this recipe for Slow Cooker Spinach Mushroom Lasagna from The Way The Cookie Crumbles. Unfortunately I bought the wrong kind of noodles and ended up cooking it in oven instead of my crock pot. I also decided to add sauteed squash to the dish and it turned out really well. So, here is my version of Vegetable Lasagna. Bon apetit.
Serves 6 to 8
- 9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1½ pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1¼ cups (2½ ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 425ºF.
- Saute zucchini in olive oil, then set aside.
- Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
- Add spinach, cover and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and ½ tsp salt. Heat through, about 7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, 1 cup of Parmesan, basil, egg, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper together. Arrange 4 lasagna noodle pieces in 9×13 glass dish, overlapping if necessary, then dollop 9 rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture over noodles.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, layer zucchini on top, then spoon 1 cup more mushroom-spinach sauce over top.
- Repeat the layering of lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and mushroom-spinach sauce twice more.
- For the final layer sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- Cover dish with two layers of aluminum foil and cook until the lasagna is heated through, about 60 minutes.
- Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving.